Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Very Yellow Dinner

Slept in a little today - because it's Sunday (my day off every week) and because I stayed up late last night and because it was sooooo warm and cozy in my bed with my Christmas pajamas on.

Wasn't hungry when I woke up so just had some coffee. Went out shopping and bought nice food at Trader Joe's and Safeway - plus some great cookbooks (and other books, and a sweater, and an orange wristwatch) at the thrift store which was having half-off everything in the store while I was there! Came home and put a bunch of stuff into the crockpot for a curry recipe I found online.

Around 4.00 I was feeling kind of headachey and realized I still hadn't eaten anything all day, so I made an Amy's burrito. I love these burritos, but they're kind of pricey at $3 each for just a bean & rice burrito (which I can easily make myself for much, much less) so I kind of save them for situations when I really don't feel like cooking. I always top them with some Trader Joe's Greek yogurt and my favorite salsa. Makes them into a filling meal instead of just a little burrito.




Curry was ready in time for dinner and it came out yummy! As I was making it, I realized it was going to be a very yellow meal because I used yellow Roma tomatoes instead of red, sweet potato instead of white, and an orange bell pepper instead of a green one...mostly because this was what I had. I guess I'll be getting my requirement of beta carotene today! I don't really like sweet potatoes but I'm trying to work them into my diet because they're so good for me, so I kind of "sneak" them into recipes like this where the flavor is less pronounced because of all the other ingredients. The curry had chickpeas, yellow tomatoes, bell pepper, sweet potato, green beans, spinach, carrots, eggplant, curry powder, and coconut milk. I'll post the recipe in another post because it was good and easy - I'll totally make it again.

Decided to continue the yellow theme and made yellow rice to go with it instead of using the pilaf I had planned to use. I used a pre-packaged mix by Goya (yes, I know that's more Spanish flavored than Indian but I figured it would be good and it was) and added some cashews and green peas. Topped the curry with a dollop of Greek yogurt and some hothouse cucumber for coolness. Seriously delicious, all around!


I have a ton leftover of all of it, so you'll be seeing this dish again and again in the next week.
GRE tomorrow afternoon! I hope I do decently. And I can't wait until it's over...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
By day, I'm a student; by night, a waitress.